The majority of tennis injury occurs from overuse. As you know, here at Shefford Osteopathic Clinic we believe in helping you continue doing the things you love, so here are our top tips to keep you injury free:
- Good preparation is important
- Wear the right and comfortable clothing for tennis
- Wear proper tennis shoes with skid-resistant soles
- Make sure that the court is clean and check the ground for slippery spots or debris
- Do dynamic warm-up exercises that stretch every muscle group before you begin to play. This is a must!
- Make sure you have the correct size and type of racquet
- Always make sure that you use the right technique for forehand, backhand and other grips
- Make sure your tennis balls are in good condition – pros change them every 7 games
- After your game make sure that you stretch and cool down
- Maintain an adequate fitness level. Undertake conditioning and training exercises specific to the physical demands of tennis
- Good technique and practice will help prevent injury
- Avoid over repetition of any one type of shot. Practise a range of tennis strokes including groundstrokes, serves, return of serves, overhead smashes and volleys
Last, but not least, if you keep getting a recurring pain somewhere in the body, call the Clinic and make an appointment. Pain indicates that something is not working correctly – so the sooner you get it assessed, the less injury you will cause your body and the less time off from playing tennis.
Now you know how to keep injury free, let’s play some tennis. To get you playing as quickly as possible I have listed 5 courts in Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire…
Langford Tennis Club: A small (but perfectly formed) friendly tennis club based on the Langford Playing Fields in the centre of Langford, Bedfordshire. The Club is thriving with members who come from Langford and the surrounding areas including Biggleswade, Broom, Campton, Clifton, Gravenhurst, Haynes, Henlow, Letchworth, Meppershall, Sandy, Shefford, Stanford, Stotfold and Wilstead.
Letchworth Sports and Tennis Club: Located in the centre of Letchworth Garden City, the Club welcomes players of all ages and abilities. The Club offers a range of racket sports, gym, studio, bar and shop and also welcomes non-members to use all the facilities with pay and play options available.
Hitchin Lawn Tennis Club: Is an independent tennis club that has provided a place for family-friendly tennis in Hitchin since 1920, run by volunteer members for members. They have three all-weather, floodlit courts are available for play.
HBS Tennis Club: Is a Clubmark accredited, family-friendly tennis club based in the grounds of Hitchin Boys School in Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK. Their ethos is to be an open and fully inclusive tennis club for all ages and abilities. They aim to be the best value club in the area offering a fully comprehensive Junior & Adult coaching programme, social tennis events and competitive (league) team tennis to name but a few!
Riverside Lawn Tennis Club: Riverside LTC is Bedfordshire’s premier tennis club. Riverside Tennis Club boasts six all-weather and three carpet floodlit tennis courts and in winter, three courts are covered by an Air-Hall, allowing “Indoor” play.